DWI Lawyer Dallas
Top Rated Dallas DWI Attorneys
Dallas DWI attorneys from Manuel Diaz Law Firm, PC stand ready and waiting to help you fight, contest, challenge and beat DWI, DUI or BWI cases in and around the greater Dallas-Ft. Worth area.
If you or a loved one have been arrested or charged with a DWI, you need an expert legal team in your corner, with the experience needed to increase your chances of having the charges dropped or reduced.
DWI’s in Dallas are taken seriously, with the consequences potentially lasting a lifetime. From the loss of your right to drive, to steep fines and even jail time. Don’t face a DWI charge alone. Hire our team and get the legal help and guidance you need to overcome this difficult time in your life.
The first consultation is always free, and we’re eager to help answer any questions you have.
WARNING FOR THOSE IN DALLAS COUNTY: 15-DAY DEADLINE
The consequences of a DWI arrest come hard and fast in Dallas County. In Texas, The Department of Public Safety is responsible for the Administrative License Revocation Program (ALR). Any individual arrested for a DWI will receive an “ALR Suspension” of their drivers license automatically, unless the suspension is contested.
Saving your Drivers License After a DWI Arrest in Dallas
If you were arrested for a DWI in or around Dallas, you have a short 15-day window from the arrest date to file for an administrative license revocation hearing. Failure to do so by the deadline will result in the automatic suspension of your drivers license, rendering you unable to legally drive to work or other places.
Call the Dallas DWI Lawyers at Manuel Diaz Law Firm, PC and put our team on your case. We’ll jump into action, taking the necessary steps to secure your rights, representing you and your case at the ALR hearing and doing everything we can to help you keep your license.
Driving While Intoxicated – a serious charge in Dallas
Being convicted of a DWI can have lasting and serious consequences. Although many falsely believe that DWI cases can’t be beat/won, there are often several strategies and tactics that can be employed to effectively fight charges.
With the stakes this high, you need a team with the right experience to get the job done right. Hire a criminal defense DWI attorney in Dallas that will explore every relevant avenue for avoiding a conviction.
Our firm is dedicated to helping individuals facing a DWI charge get those charges dropped, reduced or dismissed. Put our years of experience and track record of positive client outcomes to work for you.
Common DWI and Alcohol Related Cases Our Criminal Defense Attorneys Handle:
- DWI breath test cases
- DWI blood warrant test cases
- Felony DWI cases
- Driving under the influence (DUI)
- Misdemeanor DWI cases
- Driving while intoxicated under the influence of drugs (prescription or illicit)
- DWI with a child passenger
- Boating while intoxicated (BWI)
Why Hire a Top-Rated DWI Layer From Manuel Diaz Law Firm, PC
Experience, skill, and confidence to take on your case. Since inception, our firm has built a track record on aggressive representation, results-oriented legal strategy, and superior client service.
Key Tenants of Our Firm:
- Personal Care, Attention and Support
- Quick Response and Clear Communication
- Aggressive, Vigorous Defense
- Expert Negotiation
- A Passion for Client Advocacy
- Unwavering Commitment to Clients
- Compassion, Understanding and Respect
Award-Winning Dallas Law Firm
Our firm’s dedication to clients, commitment to justice, and passion for results has earned us several awards as a leading Dallas law firm, the respect of the Dallas legal system, and love of our clients.
Law Firm Awards Include:
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
- Attorney and Practice Magazine’s Criminal Defense Attorney Top 10 2020
- Avvo Rating 10.0
- 10 Best Law Firm Client Satisfaction
- Lead Counsel Rated
- American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys 10 Best 2020
The Penalties for DWI Charges in Dallas
DWIs are a serious offense, with even first-time offenders facing up to a year in jail, suspension of their license and upwards of a $6000 fine. Those found guilty may also be subject to additional court costs, fines, probation, and a permanent blemish on their criminal record.
DWI First Offense
Although aggravating factors can play a role in the level of offense, first-time DWI cases will typically be charged as a Class B misdemeanor.
Penalties for a First Time DWI
- BAC under 0.15 – Class B Misdemeanor. Suspension of drivers license for 3-12 months. Fine up to$2000. Jail sentence possible, up to a maximum of 6 months. $1000-$2000 surcharge per year for 3-years to reactivate your license.
- BAC 0.15 or above – Class A Misdemeanor. License suspension 6mo-2 years. Fine up to $6000. Permanent criminal record. $1000-$2000 surcharge per year for 3-years to reactivate your license.
DWI Second Offense
- Class A misdemeanor. Minimum 3-day mandatory jail sentence. Maximum jail time of up to a year. Up to $4000 in fines. 6 month up to 2-year license suspension.
- La instalación de un dispositivo de bloqueo de encendido.
- Las condenas previas (incluso las que son en otros estados) se pueden usar como antecedentes.
DWI Third Offense (and higher)
- Third Degree Felony. 2-10 year maximum jail sentence. Minimum mandatory 10-days in jail. Up to a $10,000 fine. Prison sentence increases with additional convictions.
- La instalación de un dispositivo de bloqueo de encendido es un requisito obligatorio para la liberación.
Other Potential DWI Penalties
Other Possible Penalties In Addition to the Above:
- Installation of an ignition interlock device on your vehicle
- Submit to community probation or supervision
- Community service hours
- Attending a rehabilitation program/center
- Completing DWI school
Examples of Aggravating Factors that Can Increase the Penalties:
- Having an open container in the vehicle
- DWI with a child passenger
- Underage DWI
Legal Remedies, Strategies and Outcomes
As a first course of action, our firm will evaluate your case and work to get your charges dropped, dismissed, or reduced to avoid a costly and potentially damaging trial.
In situations where this course of action isn’t in your best interest, or when a trial may be favorable for the client, we leverage our years of experience and insight navigating Dallas courtrooms to devise a legal strategy tailored to the unique circumstances of your case.
Before a plea is entered in court, you will have the opportunity to apply for probation (an often-favorable option for clients). If this application is accepted, you will be provided with the opportunity to replace other penalties with what is known as “community supervision”. This probationary term may be for up to 2 years, whereas those with a felony DWI may be under community supervision for up to 10 years.
Other Terms Imposed with Probation:
- Must serve the entire period
- Cannot drink or use drugs
- Will be subject to drug and alcohol screening
- Violation of terms can trigger an MTR (Motion to Revoke Probation) and a warrant for your arrest
This outcome allows the defendant (you) to avoid trial and the possibility of a costly conviction. By entering a plea of “guilty” or “no contest” under this deal, as well as waiving your rights to a trial, the state will grant a path to a dismissal of the charges. Provided the defendant successfully completes the mandated requirements (typically community supervision), the case will be dismissed to no conviction going on your record.
Convicted in the past? We may be able to help. In some cases, we can help clients obtain an expungement of the crime from their record or a nondisclosure agreement for past DWI convictions. A nondisclosure prevents other third parties (such as background check agencies) from obtaining your criminal record, whereas an expungement removes the conviction from your record as if it never happened.
Contact our Dallas Office For A Free Consultation
We proudly serve the greater Dallas metropolitan area
8100 John W. Carpenter Fwy Suite #200 Dallas, TX 75247
Monday – Friday 8:30am-5:30pm
Open For Appointments on Saturdays
Get the Help and Representation you Deserve
A DWI charge doesn’t have to mean a conviction. There are a number of legal strategies and avenues we can help you explore. With the right legal counsel, our team can fight to have your charges dropped, dismissed, reduced or favorably negotiated.
Call or message our firm today for a free, no-obligation initial consultation. We’re eager to find out more about your case and how we can help.