Drug Defense Lawyer in Dallas, TX
The Representation You Deserve for Drug Charges in Dallas
Being charged with a drug crime in Dallas is a serious offense. With penalties ranging from probation to a permanent criminal record, and fines to major time in prison, you need to know what you’re up against in court.
Without skilled, attentive representation, you could receive more severe penalties than you would if you had hired the best drug defense lawyer in Dallas, Texas.
At Manual Diaz Law Firm, PC, you’ll be represented by an award-winning law firm and a drug defense lawyer with the expertise and knowledge to provide you with the representation you deserve. Our team has decades of experience defending clients against drug charges in Dallas and throughout the great state of Texas. To us, each client is a top priority and we will give your case the individualized attention and aggressive defense necessary to earn you the best outcome in or out of court.
Our goal, with each and every drug defense case, is to get the charges dropped or drastically reduced. When necessary, we stand ready to provide you with aggressive trial representation backed by decades of positive results for our clients.
Llámenos today for a free consultation, and learn why thousands of families across Texas have trusted us with their defense.
Criminal Charges Under the Texas Controlled Substances Act
The Texas Controlled Substances Act covers the manufacture, possession, sale, and use of certain classes of both illicit and prescription drugs.
If you have been charged with the manufacture, possession, distribution, or sale of these controlled substances, you can face charges ranging from simple misdemeanors to serious felonies. These charges can be increased and complicated by certain factors, including whether or not those controlled substances have crossed state lines.
Two key factors of the types of charges you face and the potential penalties you will receive are the amount of the substance you allegedly possessed and the classification of the controlled substance.
Some common types of drug charges in Texas include:
- Selling or attempting to sell illegal drugs
- Possession with the intent to distribute or sell
- Transporting a controlled substance
- El tráfico de drogas
- Possession of the chemicals necessary to manufacture a controlled substance
- Posesión ilícita de medicamentos recetados
Because cases involving drug charges can become complicated, and because they come with serious penalties in Texas, it’s important to have an experienced attorney on your side.
En Manual Diaz Law Firm, PC, our team of drug defense lawyers know what it takes to build a case, establish a strong defense strategy, and poke holes in the prosecution’s case. We work hard to get you the result you deserve from your drug charges, helping you preserve as much of your normal life as possible once your case is resolved.
Llámenos today and schedule your free drug defense consultation with our team of award-winning, industry-leading attorneys. We work hard in your defense!
Drug Crime Penalty Groups for Controlled Substances in Texas
Under Chapter 481 of the Health and Safety Code, the Texas Controlled Substances Act classifies drugs into six “Penalty Groups”:
- Grupo de penalización 1: cocaína, GHB, metanfetamina y oxicodona
- Grupo de penalización 1A: LSD (dietilamida del ácido lisérgico) y cualquier análogo.
- Grupo de penalización 2: metanfetamina 3,4-metilendiozy (éxtasis, MDMA, Molly) y PCP (fenciclidina).
- Grupo de penalización 2A: Cualquier preparación, material, solución, compuesto o mezcla que contenga cualquier cualidad de una sustancia sintética o natural.
- Grupo de penalización 3: Alprazolam (Xanax), Metilfenidato (Ritalin), Diazepam (Valium) y Zolpidem (Ambien).
- Penalty Group 4: Any preparation, material, solution, compound, or mixture that contains limited amounts of narcotics.
Controlled Substance Schedules Under Federal Controlled Substances Act
In addition to the classifications given to certain drugs at the state level, there are several groupings of controlled substances identified at the federal level:
- Programa I: Marihuana (cannabis), LSD, heroína, MDMA / Éxtasis, Peyote, Methaqualone
- Schedule II: Products containing less than 15 mg of cocaine, methamphetamine, hydrocodone, methadone, oxycodone, meperidine, hydromorphone, Dexedrine, Fentanyl, Adderall, and Ritalin.
- Schedule III: Products that contain less than 90mg of ketamine, codeine, testosterone, and other anabolic steroids.
- Programa IV: Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Tramadol, Soma, Darvocet, Darvon, Ambien, Talwin.
- Schedule V: Cough preparations containing less than 200mg per 100 milliliters of Codeine, Lyrica, Motofen, Lomotil, and Parepectolin.
Five Factors in Texas That Impact Sentencing If Convicted
If you are charged with a drug crime in Texas, the courts look at five factors in determining the level of sentencing that will be imposed upon you if you are convicted with a drug offense.
It is always our first goal at At Manual Diaz Law Firm, PC to prevent charges from being filed against you in the first place. However, if charges are filed, we then move to determine which strategies will help get your charges dropped or reduced.
Sometimes, we aren’t able to come to an agreeable solution pre-trial, meaning we have to prepare for a trial on drug charges. In these cases, we focus our efforts on the following factors to improve the position of your case:
- The type of drugs involved (i.e., the penalty group)
- La cantidad de drogas involucradas
- The geographic location where the alleged offense took place (Crimes committed near schools or daycares can be treated more harshly than those in other locations)
- Whether or not the drug offense was part of another crime, such as assault, discharge of a firearm, robbery, etc.
Factors That Can Get Charges Reduced or Dropped
Just because you are charged with a crime, or even one type of drug crime, does not mean that you will be convicted of that crime. Our team works hard to find solutions to help get your charges reduced or dropped entirely.
Some of the factors that could get your drug charges reduced or dropped include:
- Unlawful search and seizure: If there was something wrong with the way the police discovered drugs in your possession
- Drugs belong to someone else: The prosecution must prove that they know the drugs belonged to you
- Crime lab analysis: Just because a substance looks like a drug doesn’t mean it really is that drug. The substance must be sent to a crime lab for a definitive analysis.
- Missing drugs: If the prosecution cannot produce the actual drugs found during your arrest, your charges may be dropped
- Drugs were planted: The defense may be able to prove that the drugs were planted on you by someone else
Entrapment: If you were coerced into committing a crime by law enforcement attempting to set up a sting operation, you may get your charges dropped
Contact our Dallas Office For A Free Consultation
We proudly serve the greater Dallas metropolitan area
8100 John W. Carpenter Fwy Suite #200 Dallas, TX 75247
Monday – Friday 8:30am-5:30pm
Open For Appointments on Saturdays
Your First Line of Defense Against Drug Charges in Dallas
When you choose At Manual Diaz Law Firm, PC, you benefit from our years of experience defending clients against drug charges in Dallas, Texas, and across the state. We have what it takes to get you the results you deserve. Schedule a consultation today!